The Church Chosen by Jesus Christ
for the blessings of multitudes
Greetings from Washington D.C. and the Greater Refuge Temple Church of our Lord Jesus Christ of the Apostolic Faith, Inc.
Greater Refuge Temple Church was founded December 12, 1989, in Washington, D.C., by Chief Apostle Bishop William L. Bonner. The first services were held at Days Inn, at 12th and K Streets, N.W.
In February, 1990, Kelly Miller Junior High School, at 49th and Brooks Street, N.E., became the final temporary home. The Lord blessed our Founder, Chief Apostle W.L. Bonner to acquire the land for the church in three weeks.
On October 27, 1990 ground was broken and construction of the church began. During the construction, many expressed great doubt saying the church would fail.
However, on June 1, 1991, the first service was held at Greater Refuge Temple Church. God has miraculously brought this work to pass, demonstrating that this is only the beginning for the continuous winning of souls, for His Kingdom, in the Washington, D.C. area.
On March 8th, 2012, a church vote was conducted by Chief Apostle Bishop William L. Bonner for the next Pastor of Greater Refuge Temple Church, Washington, D.C. After the vote, with the majority of votes in Bishop W. Michael Fields’ favor. Apostle Bonner named Bishop W. Michael Fields the Pastor of Greater Refuge Temple Church in Washington, D.C.
STATEMENT OF FAITH
We believe in one Lord, one Faith, and one Baptism. Ephesians 4:5
We believe that the Holy Bible is the Word of God. It is true. It contains the keys to inheriting eternal life, and it reveals the mystery of our faith. John 5:39, Deuteronomy 29:29
We believe in the oneness of God, who was the Father in creation, the Son in redemption and today. He is the Holy Ghost in the Church. 1 Timothy 3:16
We believe that Jesus is God, for in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form. We proclaim Lord Jesus Christ in the name of God that was given to this generation as the only Name whereby people of this Grace dispensation of time can be saved. Colossians 2:9; Acts 4:12
We accept God’s plan of salvation of baptism by water and spirit. Jesus Christ, who was our perfect example, though sinless, was baptized to fulfill righteousness John 3:4; Matthew 3:15.
We believe that water baptism in the name of Jesus Christ is essential for forgiveness of sins, and confirms our belief that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Acts 2:38; Acts 8:37
We believe that rebirth by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential today as it was in the days of the Apostles. Acts 2:4
We believe that the Word of God must be proclaimed throughout all the world, according to God’s commandment. Matthew 28:19; Mark 16:15; Romans 10:18
Our Blessed Hope lies in Christ Jesus our Lord who has given us the victory over death and hell. Therefore, standing firm on His promise, we anticipate the second coming of Christ – that great day of resurrection which shall surely come. On that day, the dead in Christ shall rise first. Then we which are alive and remain will be changed, and caught up together with them in the air. And so shall we forever be with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. John 14:3; 1 Corinthians 15:51-58; 1 Thessalonians 4:15-17
- We envision a body of believers that is wholeheartedly devoted to The Word, prayer, praise, fasting, and worship.
- We envision a harmonious, loving, effective, and unified leadership team; leaders that are laboring for God’s glory, not with selfish ambition.
- We envision an altar that is on fire for the Lord and intercessors that are anointed to fulfill the call of God on the altar.
- We envision the youth of GRTDC being filled with the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in other tongues as the Spirit of God gives the utterance.
- We envision and endeavor to keep the unity of the body of Christ through the spiritual disciplines of prayer, loving communication, forgiveness, apology, submission, and humility.
- We are cultivating an environment, through prayer and confessing the Word of God, that will produce a great harvest of lost souls to the glory of God.
- We envision ourselves serving and connecting with the Ward 7 Community in a manner that shows loving-kindness; following God’s method, “…with loving-kindness have I drawn thee.”
- We will order our lives for the furtherance of the 10-Year Church Plan; for Church and facility expansion. [The W.L. Bonner Family Life Center; The Posterity House; The affordable housing unit and the enlargement of the Sanctuary]
- Our commitment is to be more faithful in supporting prayer services, Bible Study, outgoing engagements, and worship services at GRTDC; realizing our responsibilities to the body of Christ.
- We envision laborers and loving servants of The King; that improve the effectiveness of what they have been called to do and study to perfect their kingdom-gift.
- We envision a Church that regularly confesses the victory because of the finished work of the cross.
- We envision a body of rapture-ready believers; prepared when the trump of God sounds.